Originally opened in 1856 this railway station, designed in the Italianate style by English Architect George Wilkinson, had fallen into a state of neglect. In 2016 we were delighted to be invited by the new owner to design the remodeling and extension of the premises, converting it into a family home. We were also engaged to instigate a program of conservation, repair, and careful restoration. In keeping with principles of conservation, the extension effected minimal intervention into the original building, as is evident in the narrowest of connections between old and new via the glazed bridge at 1st floor level. The former yard to the rear of the station house becoming the kitchen/dining area, leading through to the new glazed South facing living room, all under a sweeping flat roof, floating only marginally above the original yard walls. The execution of the works was a tour de force by the client who has now safeguarded the buildings existence and Architectural significance for generations to come.
Restoration & Conservation Project